Food Service Establishments

All food establishments in the City of Universal City are licensed and inspected to ensure compliance with the standards of the Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER).  For more information, click the following links:

Texas Food Establishment Rules

State Guidance Publications for Food Establishments

Food Manager Training Programs

Food Handler Training Programs

Texas Cottage Food Production

Fixed Food Establishments include restaurants, retail stores, schools, hotels and daycares.  

Steps to obtain an Annual Food License:Graphic Link for SmartGov Portal Opens in new window

  1. Apply for a Certificate of Occupancy - use the SmartGov link above
  2. Pass the Building and Safety Walk to be conducted by the Building, Fire and Health Officials 
  3. Apply for a Food License - use the SmartGov link above 
    • Food License Fee Schedule
      • Retail Only (no onsite food preparation) ..... $125.00
      • 1-6 Employees                                        ..... $220.00
      • 7-10 Employees                                      ..... $320.00
      • 11-20 Employees                                    ..... $450.00
      • 21+ Employees                                       ..... $750.00
  4. For Food Establishments with grease traps, please refer to the UC Fats, Oils, Grease (FOG) Ordinance

Temporary Food Establishment operates for a period of no more than fourteen (14) consecutive days in conjunction with a single event or celebration in Universal City.  

Steps to obtain a Temporary Event License (obtain no later than 72 hours prior to the event)

  1. Obtain a “no cost” Temporary Use License.  Contact Linda Iglehart at 210-619-0723 or for more information.
  2. No later than 72 hours before the event, obtain a $50 Temporary Event License - use the SmartGov link below 
  3. Complete the Temporary Event Self-Inspection Checklist during set-up on the day of the event.Graphic Link for SmartGov Portal Opens in new window

Mobile Food Unit commonly referred to as a food truck, is designed to be readily movable and used to store, prepare, display, serve or sell food.  Mobile Food Units (MFU) must retain their mobility at all times and will continually move from place to place throughout the City with no fixed location or address*, using motor-driven wheeled conveyance.  

*A MFU may have a fixed address for an approved time frame only when operating:  

  1. at a Mobile Food Park  (e.g., Screaming Chameleon )
  2. at a UC City Park (requires approval from UC Public Works) or 
  3. as a Late-Night MFU

Steps to obtain a Mobile Food Unit License:

  1. Refer to the following checklists to ensure compliance prior to requesting an inspection
  2. Contact to schedule an inspection with the Fire and Health Officials
  3. Apply for a Mobile Food License - use the SmartGov link below
    • Fee is $125 annuallyGraphic Link for SmartGov Portal Opens in new window

Concerns or questions relating to health safety may be submitted to the City via the Fixit Form. To inquire about services, contact As always, if it is an emergency situation call 911.